Garage insulation advice and thoughts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose25

Reaction score
So being in Illinois our summers get pretty toasty. And the garage cooks all day in the sun. So I want to try to change that.
For starters - 24x24 garage. 10 yr old. Soffits already installed.

So my plan is, to insulate the whole garage. Walls are pretty straight forward, simple as pie.
But I would like your thoughts on the roof/attic. I use the rafters for storage of my hunting stuff and things we don't need in the house.
What I want to do is insulate it like one would do a cathedral ceiling. Because I use the attic space for storage but it isn't enclosed. I plan on using baffles ran from the top plate to the ridge vent (which I need to install).
Would that help cool it down?

I am thinking I'm still going to be stuck with all the hot air hanging in the garage. Could I also install gable vents to get some cross flow in the summer. And then just seal them with a insulation board in the winter to keep the heat in?

No I do not, well not yet atleast. Only been in the house for a couple months. I would like to though.

I had a real hot garage and just installed three box vents and it did cool the garage considerably. All you are after is air movement to take the heat away from the bottom of the roof deck. Of coarse that changes when you want to heat it.

Well I got the garage all insulated. It made a huge difference. Except when it's muggy out. I'll start the drywall after a few more paychecks. I have been looking at heaters. But paying a plumber to run the gas line to the garage is making me think it's worth it to just bundle up in the winter.
414619a1a2e92ca0d09be414b7cf2703.jpg

Detattached garage.
What type of roof venting does it have now?
You don't want to install gable vents if it has a ridge vent.
I'm not a big fan of ridge vents, it's more for asthetics if anything.
You could install a few solar powered can vents on a switch.
But like nealtw says, what you do to get rid of summer heat works against you in the winter when you trying to capture and retain heat.

Your storage floor appears to be sagging... was it before you added the items to the rafter ties at 4'oc per code (only to keep the walls from spreading outward- not for storage)? Each one is tied to a rafter in two places?

Gary

Are you dry walling the ceiling or the rafters?
I'll be drywalling the ceiling. I've insulated it to have a cathedral style ceiling. Atleast that is the plan. Now that I have it done, I am thinking about separating the attic and the main floor completely like you see in most garages. But I'm afraid it will make it feel too small since I only have 8' walls.

f11211876d84649d0ec9f7996c9fd8ed.jpg

That is above the rafters.

Latest posts

Back