Flex lines on hot water heater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris8105

Reaction score
I noticed that my electric water heater has the stainless steel flex water lines on it and not the solid copper pipe going to the water heater. They dont thread onto the copper pipe, instead they are attached with compression fittings. Is this setup ok? Just wondering because all the other water heaters I have seen are plumbed with copper pipe. Are the stainless steel flex lines anything to worry about?

Thanks,
Chris

I see flex stainless and flex copper connecitons used on water heaters all the time. If it doesn't leak, it should be fine. ;)

They are also good in earthquake country, less plumbing breaks during the big one.:D Mabey your plumber moved in from CA.:D

Would there be any questions about corrosion with the dissimilar materials? Or would it be fine as long as there's some kind of "insulator" between the two?

If the fittings are stainless, I don't see an issue but, to be on the safe side, you could install the normal dielectric fittings.

Let's score one for Jeff! They are dissimilar metals and that means the copper will dissolve. The stainless steel lines I used to sell were for gas lines while the copper ones are for water. I haven't seen a stainless water line in my carreer; maybe someone needs to bring me up to date.
While we are on the subject, stainless steel comes in varying degrees and much of it will rust under certain conditons. It is made from Iron refined to be steel and add some chrome and molly.
Glenn

Good point about two different metals. They look like the same ones that Home Depot sells. I'm pretty sure that the compression ring on them are brass.

After doing some research, I found out that the brass and the copper will be just fine. Brass is an alloy that has copper as the primary component. Zinc is typically the other significant component. Brass and copper are very compatible.

If the fittings are stainless, I don't see an issue but, to be on the safe side, you could install the normal dielectric fittings.

Stainless will not react, so any added fittings are just that many more joints to possibly start leaking in the future. Don't fix what don't need fixed. ;)

What Tool guy said. The stainless is fine. The bushings are nylon sleeved or brass fitted. Now if you have well water.....:D

Latest posts

Back