Building a loft room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaDellar

Reaction score
We have an old house with very big and spacious bedrooms but unfortunately there are just not enough rooms. :(

It is very difficult to change the shape of the house by adding on more rooms on the outside. We have a very big and spacious roof area so we are thinking about getting some rooms made up in the roof. Has anyone had any experience with building up?

We have an old house with very big and spacious bedrooms but unfortunately there are just not enough rooms. :(

It is very difficult to change the shape of the house by adding on more rooms on the outside. We have a very big and spacious roof area so we are thinking about getting some rooms made up in the roof. Has anyone had any experience with building up?

Building up is a solution to anything looking to increase the room in their household. The first and tedious step is to find out about your local building codes and requirements for building up a house. You'll want to make sure you follow the code to a T to prevent issues and make sure the contractors plan to follow the code to a T. Personally, 90% of all build-ups look horrible due to the top of the house looking different from the bottom. Do your best to keep the build-up looking as authentic to the bottom as possible.

Thanks for that. I need to think long and hard about this because the last thing I want to do is change the whole street appeal of the house. It really is a nice looking house from the outside. The individual rooms are just so big. You could quite easily make two bedrooms out of the one but the way the rooms are shaped makes it is impossible. The rooms are huge with bay windows with leaded glass that literally spread from the one side of the bedroom to the other. If we are going to go up I think we will have to be very careful with the contractor who does the job. Thanks again for your advice.

Post photos of the existing house plus drawings of what you want to do.

Latest posts

Back