LVL lumber

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

How heavy is that compare to standard lumber? I am trying to get an idea if I can put half of the weight on top of my roof top (truck ofcourse :D).

TT

Last edited:
Not too hard to find...The LVL is about 12lbs per foot, the Dug. fir is about 11lbs per foot.
If you're putting half the weight on the truck, where's the other half going?

Not too hard to find...The LVL is about 12lbs per foot, the Dug. fir is about 11lbs per foot.
If you're putting half the weight on the truck, where's the other half going?

I am thinking of half of beam on the roof sticking towards the front. The other half will be on the truck bed and rear. I have a tool box near the tailgate. I could find another box and have it sit on to level with roof. It will probably stick out about 3-4 ft past my rear lights. I will have a red flag on the end.

Can the LVL sit long before it is installed? Like 2 months sitting in the garage.

Didn't ask about delivery.

Last edited:
I am thinking of half of beam on the roof sticking towards the front. The other half will be on the truck bed and rear. I have a tool box near the tailgate. I could find another box and have it sit on to level with roof. It will probably stick out about 3-4 ft past my rear lights. I will have a red flag on the end.

Can the LVL sit long before it is installed? Like 2 months sitting in the garage.

Didn't ask about delivery.

Back to school. If one end is sitting in the bed and it is on the roof and a bunch is sticking out over the front you have more like 2/3 or 3/4 of the weight on the roof.
I believe mico lams are cheaper, the only reason anyone uses lvls is because you can use two 1 3/4" and nail them together after they are installed
Just make sure you store them dry and straight.

Are there any prefer method to nailing them together? I am thinking a curve nailing like a "S" is good using 3.5" nails.

They just get nailed like a header, 3 or 4 3" nails every 12 to 16 inches. The only time to get excited is when you load landing on the beam is only landing on one lvl. But if the load is landing on all elements of the beam, they should bend or not at the same rate. Some engineers do call for much more and sometimes bolting on the real big beams.

Latest posts

Back