Water infiltration??? Ice Damn???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hello,

This spring we got our home a new roof. We used a certified roofer and all spring and summer along things were fine. However, now that winter is upon us there seems to be some things going on.
First I notice couple spots on our bedroom ceiling. Upon examining it I notice that they were indeed wet and couple small pieces of popcorn finish came off. The roofer came over and since it was a very low area of the roof he checked it from the outside and said that was ice damn. We found it very strange as it was on the joint of the wall and ceiling making it against the wall. So, that would mean that the ice barrier would be way shorter than 6 feet. This was a Thursday. I called him on Friday, He came Monday. However, when he came the spot was completely dry. My husband go into the attic and could not find a source for the infiltration.
Today, I notice that around the fan in the second bathroom there is a damp spot that looks a lot like the other one. This bathroom is hardly used at all and no shower or bath was taken in it for the last week or two. I went into the attic and once again no source or water infiltration is to be found. All the insulation looks and feel dry.
So, I was wondering if the roof is too well "sealed" and moisture is getting trapped under the insulation causing the dampness in certain areas. I was not able to remove the fan but moved it a bit to notice that the dampness extend a bit into the insulation.
Any theories as to what can be causing this dampness?
Thanks and sorry for the long explanation. Be well

Miriam

"First I notice couple spots on our bedroom ceiling. Upon examining it I notice that they were indeed wet and couple small pieces of popcorn finish came off. The roofer came over and since it was a very low area of the roof he checked it from the outside and said that was ice damn." --- this is because you have warm air reaching the roof deck from below and not enough attic ventilation to clear it: UMass Amherst: Building and Construction Technology Preventing Ice Dams

Home Energy Magazine Online

If you had ridge vents installed, you need a balanced number of soffit venting: http://www.fureyco.com/content/images/Ventilation-_Clearing_The_Air.pdf
Be safe, Gary

Thank you. I did forget to mention that the snow fall was a wet and heavy one. The weather warmed up during the day and got cold again in the evening. The part of the house that is affect faces south. Thanks for the links. I will review all the info.
Be well
Miriam

Miriam, GBR hit the nail on the head about a balanced roof vent system. It's usually the most over looked aspect of a roof "system" installation. With the installation of additional exhaust vents, often times they will outstrip the intake vent. keep an open dialog with your roofer so he will correct the problem and make sure he doesn't mix different types of (exhaust) venting. This will cause the vent system to "Short Cycle" and not provide good attic air exhaust from eave (lowest point) to the ridge (highest point).

Thank you. So, since the ridge vent is completely covered with snow, would it be wise, for now, to rake off some of the snow in that are so to allow a bit more ventilation? We are having mild weather (about 32 - 34) at this point, but little has melted to allow that area to vent.
Thanks again. I love this forum. It has helped me in numerous occasions. Happy holidays.
Miriam

Please don't get on the roof with snow on it. The water spots on the ceiling will be a minor problem compared to the fall and sudden stop associated with steep roof, snow and hospital visit. I am a roofer and the only thing that keeps me off a roof is snow or ice. Get your roofer to come back and show him the problem and ask him how he intends to fix the problem. A roof should not show signs of leaking after less than 1 year.

A ridge vent should have a opening about 2-1/2-3" inches at the top of the decking to allow for air exhaust. (1-1/2") each side of the roof deck.

Heard you. We may need to place a step ladder outside and climb on it in order to reach the ridge. The roofer is coming so we can check what will be done to fix the problem. There are no signs of leak, but the ventilation must improve.

I was brave enough to get into the attic being 6 months pregnant. So, my husband will be the one climbing the steps and raking the snow off. LOL

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Back