Need help with staining

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMP66DUKE

Reaction score
We just purchased a pine bookshelf and dresser for my son's bedroom. Both items were sanded but have no finish. I am staining both now and will be ready for the polyurethane soon. My first question... is any brand of polyurethane more durable? My next question is the overall process... I was planning on just one coat of stain then coating it with polyurethane. I've talked to a few people on the process and have received different opinions on how many coats of each to apply. One suggestion is stain, sand, stain again, sand, polyurethane, sand and then polyurethane again for final coat. This seems a bit repetitive. Should I sand after I am completed with staining? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

The reason you're sanding is because the grain stans up when it gets wet. You can get rid of some of that by wiping it down with a damp cloth and letting dry. Sand it down to smooth before you stain. Instead of sand paper you can use a green kitchen scruber, does less damage to the wood. Each coat of stain will make it darker so that's a matter of what you like. The wood will continue to feel rough so scuffing between coats is required. Keep putting coats of polyurethane until you get a smooth finish, usually two. I've never had trouble using minwax stain with polyurethane

Satain can act as a sealer. A light sanding (or scuffing) after the first coat of stain will dramatically reduce the roughness. Multiple light coats of poly is better and stronger.

Tip: Heat the poly before applying it. It will go on smoother and lay down better. Use 200+ grit sandpaper between coats of poly and wipe VERY clean before the next coat. :D

Back