Thermostat wire for gas fireplace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outbacker

Reaction score
My gas fireplace has a switch on the side of it to turn it on and off. What I want to do is run a wire from it to a programmable thermostat. I have 2 questions for this: What type (size) of wire do I need, and how do I connect it to the fireplace to replace the switch? Do I just connect it to the 2 wires that the current switch is attached to, or does it come off the burner unit itself?

Thanks.

Yes, the thermostat is simply a switch which closes on demand for heat. Use thermostat wire which is 18 0r 20gague. Connect to the same wires. The programable t-stat may complicate things some.
Glenn

That is great, thank you. I am assuming that the thermostat for gas fireplaces run on battery power as there is no external power supply for them? Thanks again.

Actually, Outbacker they are powered by a 'thermopile' which is similar to a thermocouple only the thermopile can generate a few milivolts. It doesn't take much to click the gas valve in. You are very welcome.
Glenn

Actually, Outbacker they are powered by a 'thermopile' which is similar to a thermocouple only the thermopile can generate a few milivolts. It doesn't take much to click the gas valve in. You are very welcome.
Glenn
Is this thermopile in the thermostat itself? If so, I may have just found a solution to a few of my problems.

No, the thermopile is similar to a thermocouple and located in the same place. The bi-metals in the thermopile generate enough milivolts (usually 3) to magnetically open the gas valve.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back