Blowing in fill on top of existing insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aNYCdb

Reaction score
One of the things I've noticed in my new house in upstate New York is that the insulation in the ceiling is actually r-13 kraft faced fiberglass (the same that is in the 2x4 studs in the walls). The attic isn't particularly easy to access, but I some drywall down for other projects.

Since it isn't really easy to get up and replace it all, so I was wondering if it would be worth it to blow fill in on top of it to to fill the cavities? Thoughs?

As long as the kraft faced side is down and you don't block any air vents. I don't know the R value required for attics for your area but I had a house in Mass. and did just that. Had 12" blown on top of the fiberglass. Just make sure you don't want to get around up there after. It's like crawling through snow.

As long as the kraft faced side is down and you don't block any air vents. I don't know the R value required for attics for your area but I had a house in Mass. and did just that. Had 12" blown on top of the fiberglass. Just make sure you don't want to get around up there after. It's like crawling through snow.

Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately due to the slope of various roof lines it isn't even normally accessible (I'm going to add an access hatch) so not being able to crawl around isn't going to be a problem.

Another alternative is unfaced batts, a little more labor intensive, but better control.

The upside to the blown in on top of the existing, is the blown in will fill in all the little crevasses and gaps where the fiberglass insulation may not be fitting tight to the ceiling joists. Sort of like giving it a seal coat.

... and don't forget that if you have ceiling (can) lights, make sure to use sheet metal tubing to protect them if they are not IC rated recessed can lights.

Back