millyb

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millyb

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for info regarding making a small cottage into a larger place..want to lift the roof so can have an upstairs for more space and more efficient to heat if the expansion goes up..any suggestions? :)

Welcome MilyB:
You are about to undertake a noble project there. It is one of the least expensive methods to add space to your home; it keeps the same footprint and simply goes upward rather than outward.
Typically the ceiling joists, which in your case would become the second floor joists, are only made of 2 X 6 which would not support the live load of a floor. So, everything from the ceiling upward must be torn off and replaced (it is possible to leave the ceiling joists if you will just add larger joists and close the spacing to 16" centers). With the joists there holding the ceiling in place can be covered with tarpaulians in the event of bad weather.
Now that I've confused and scared you half to death, we would like for you to add several pictures of your house so we can offer suggestions on how to procede.
We are happy to have you on the Forum and will give loads of advice on your project. We look forward to the pictures.
Glenn

What Glenn said, we really need pics of outside with the roof included in the pic, inside the attic space so we can visually see the roof system and a few on inside the house.
Think I covered it all.

You should Make sure you have a good foundation before you consider anything. A lot of times small cottages' foundations are only made up of some rocks and big fat rotted out sill.. This will not hold a second story

Latest posts

Back