What should be done w/ this gap between the tub & wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengal25

Reaction score
We installed the jet tub too close to the wall--to make room for the shower--and now have this gap. There's Redgard on top of the caulk, tape & thinset. Should we just put on more mortar & thin strips of tile? I'm attaching pics, so you can see. THANKS! Elizabeth

BRTub.jpg

BRTUB2-02.jpg

I'd go with filling the gap with mortar and topping it with ceramic tile, if the mortar will bond..

Thanks Travelover! That's about all we can do, I suppose. The mortar has been adhering nicely to the Redgard. Elizabeth

Hello Elizabeth:
There are back-splashes available that can closely match your sink or tile and two pieces of it glued to the wall will cover all the narrow space. I think you would still need tile in the space in front of the sink.
Please post back and let us know how it worked out.
Glenn

Thanks for the backsplash advice. I know it looks like a sink, in my terrible pictures---I'm bad at resizing--but it's a bathtub! The narrow area is between the one end of the tub & the wall. I guess were pretty much stuck w/ just adding more mortar & tile, huh!:D

What about building it up with strips of durock (cement backerboard adhered together with powergrab adhesive to bring it up in height to allow you to adhere the tile with thinset. That woould eliminate the very thick mortar base which could be very messy to work with in that small confine. Kepps you from possibly scratching the wall surface while working with that much mortar buildup? you could dry fit the cement board and shim it from the bottom by adding 1/8 temperboard shims until you have the height you need for tile installation . then take it back apart and install permanently. Install tile , grout. :D

OKAY! Hopefully I can get a better shot of it here!!

BRTub22-02.jpg

That really sounds like the best idea, so far. The thing that was bothering me the most about this GAP, is that it IS so LOW DOWN from the back edge of the tub. Like it could get really mucky down there, over time. I like the raise it up idea a lot. I guess we'll have to raise up the edges all around, maybe about an inch & a half. It'll all just be UP a little higher, around the edges, right?? Thanks for your advice. I really need advice!!! Elizabeth

Latest posts

Back