A New Old House

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Boom Dog

Reaction score
I recently bought an early 1800's timber frame house and am finding many ways to pour money into renovating it - from redoing all the sills to raising the roof in August. Currently I'm struggling with water in the basement from an overflowing artesian well plus a high water table. There is a 6" pipe bringing water into a large cistern, plus a couple of other drainage pipes. It is hard to figure out what they were trying to accomplish down there. We are having a perimeter drain put in next week, however, the contractor was unsure if he was going to be able to stop the flow of water into the basement. Any thoughts?

Hello Big Boom Dog:
Yes, I have a thought on this one; if he can't gurantee his work find someone who will. He's not the only one in the business.
Glenn

Thanks for that advice. Can I expect a guarantee from an excavator that there won't be a problem with water in the basement? BTW, the well head is about 3 feet from the house, and when we tried to take the cover off to see how deep it was, we couldn't get it all the way off because water started spewing out of it. The house is situated at the base of a hill, and a neighbor says that the ground is mushy in spring with all the run off.

Back