Closing a home for the winter ???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milt

Reaction score
I am thinking of having a modular summer home built that will not be used during the winter. As a result I will drain the plumbing to prevent freezing and bursting pipes. Where can I get advice about the pitfalls of closing a house. Should I keep the heating system on all winter? That would be expensive in the N.E. What are the consequencious of closing a house? Is mold a problem? I would appreciate some advice and information. Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum Milt:
The water lines (including the water heater) will need to be drained down and blown out with air to be sure there are no low spots holding water. The commode tanks should be drained and antifreeze poured into the commode bowl, and all other traps (you can get the antifreeze from an RV dealer).
Leave the heat off; modulars sit on lots everywhere without heat in them. Mould should not be a problem and a few bunches of eucalyptus will give you a pleasant "Welcome home", next summer.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back