Help/advice needed barn wall repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivier

Reaction score
Hello, I purchased a house in France with lots to do in it building work has become so expensive that I would like to take part myself.I have a corner wall that looks like it took a bashing sometime in the past I would love to have some opinions of what you think I should do.I would like to have a go at repairing it myself.

It has been suggested that I bulid a wooden frame at right angles and fill with stone and cement to the height of the frame leave for a few days and recomence moving upwards until I reach the top. It was also suggested that I leave a prop in on the corner and where there are cracks to chip back to create a wide enough area to fill with new concrete.I have attached picture. I must add this has been like this for five years or more and not moved! It was like this when we purchased two years ago but have picture from before the sale that go back a few years Any ideas would be very gratefully recieved ?:eek: one of many summer DIY jobs.
Many thanks
Olivier

barnwall1.jpg

barnwall3.jpg

barnwall.jpg

Get a structural engineer, this is way past anything you can post about to fix it.
I love the old country barns too. Good luck and I hope you can fix it.:)

Thanks they seem rare here, all old buildings here have no foundations and this already has supporting metal strut to the corner that is keeping it up.where the wall is cracked no matter how hard we push it it won't move.
Thanks anyway, I'm sure I'll come up with more questions soon
Olivier

I would just hire a mason to rebuild it. Not really a first DIY masonry job. I wouldn't do it with a concrete pour.

Back