No foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantsell

Reaction score
I have an old house, nearly 100 yrs, with a foundation, combination concrete block, wood, and support posts throughout the floor area- all very solid and dry. The crawl space is dry sand. I have recently replaced rotten wood under one outer wall with solid posts on concrete slabs. The strength for this wall has come frome two sections I bumped out some years ago. I have made sure that water run-off will not affect any other wooden areas. Ground drainage in this area is fabulous. Construction includes a very large log as a horizontal beam. I have lived here 30 yrs and nothing has ever moved. I am trying to sell and prospective buyers are scared off by the crawl space appearance. Any thoughts on how durable this house is in the forseeable future?

Cant comment on how durable the house is. That will require a professional inspection. Sometimes, if you have any uncertainties, it may be wise to hire your own home inspector to provide you a detailed report. This way you are less likely to have any surprises when a prospective buyer hires their inspector. Your house may be just fine or it may be a disaster. It IS 100 years old.

Two things I have done that you may find useful
I interviewd the head of ASHI here
Episode #32 - America’s top Home Inspector
I have also created an annual DIY home inspection checklist here
Episode #57 - Springtime House Inspection

Do your own walk through with the checklist. You may find some things that can easily be remedied. Then hire a home inspector.

Back