anyone had experience with this

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommabear6

Reaction score
Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone knows or has experience with this toilet I saw on CNN a while back...it's called The VIP odorless toilet. I've been to the website and it looks like a great...just wanted some feedback...Thanks

I think any Restaurant that serves fried food or uses hot sauce should be required to install one.

It's an April Fools joke...

Seriously this product was discussed on another forum several years ago and the product was taken to task for not meeting code requirements.

The owner of this bright idea showed up defending his product but never could offer any documentation on code approval so he's just continuing to sell them one at a time from his little website...

The big issue is this toilet has a direct connection between the room air and the gases in the sewer with nothing more than his unapproved mechanism and fan separating you from breathing sewer gases.

Since the 2003 outbreak of SARS in China was traced to sewer gases entering the living space in a hotel do you want to be the guinea pig for testing his unapproved design?

wow thanks for the input but why are you so condescending? did he insult you or something? lol... According to the website it has a certification...doesn't that mean it has been tested?

wow thanks for the input but why are you so condescending? did he insult you or something? lol... According to the website it has a certification...doesn't that mean it has been tested?

Testing certification from whom? And what standards?

The important one is if his device that keeps the sewer gases from coming in has been certified. Meeting ADA is nothing if sewer gases are coming in the home..

Another test that I would want to see is MaP Report testing where the toilet is tested to see how well it flushes.

Actually Mamabear I just visited his website and it looks as though he took out hard fought advice we gave him several years ago...

He has gained IAPMO and CSA certification...

That probably gives him a market in about 35% of the US that is under IPC and Canada with the CSA certification...

That still makes me ask what plumbing code is used where you are located?

I just looked at the website (VIP - Odorless toilet by Smith Innovations, Inc.) and it says iapmo and asme...I see these on other toilets so I guess it's must the right certification place. Not to mentioned if you read thru the "news" section there is quite a few reputable agencies that say some nice things.

I can't imagine the way the world is today that if it wasn't safe, it would be allowed to be sold.

Where do I go to check for plumbing codes? I want my husband to put it in...that should save us some money.

Back