Switch to Outlets Mess

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axl

Reaction score
Okay, so I read one of the earlier post about the individual whose light switch controlled a receptor/outlet plug, and how the switch was not working even though all of the outlet receptors were "on". Toggling on or off had no effect. That is my exact problem for my bedroom.

So today, I bought a new switch to try to tackle it. I turned the breaker switch for the house to off, and opened the switch plate. It looked like the pictures below.

I read the earlier response, and hooked the sole red wire to the top screw, and one of the black wires (there were three) to the bottom screw. The three ground wires were already hooked together apart from the switch, which I believe to be consistent with the initial answer. The three white wires were also tied together apart from the switch.

After turning the power to the house back on, the power to three of the five outlets in my bedroom stopped working. No impact to toggling on or off on my new switch. I tried to connect one more black wire to the other black wire screw position (I wanted to get all three, but it wouldn't fit).

So I tried to connect it back to the original position, using the old switch just to see if I was doing something wrong. Now, four of the five switches won't work, and I can't tell for my life if it had anything to do with my actions.

Any help would be appreciated.

electrical 001.jpg

electrical 002.jpg

electrical 003.jpg

electrical 005.jpg

Hard to understand just what you have. Hence,first establish that the hot wire feed (should be a black wire) is indeed hot relative to whites (neutral) with breaker on. You seem to have a moisture problem as some of the wires look green with corrosion; if so, clean those connections. That may be the only problem. Abraded insulation must be repaired with perhaps plastic sleeving. Do you have a test lamp and an ohmmeter to aid in any further troubleshooting?

Last edited:
wow - how did all those wires fit in that box.

Anyway - no way to diagnose this from here without a detailed map of what wires go where. I think you may be in over your head. Maybe time to call an electrician to sort it out for you.

You need to deal with all that burnt insulation and replace those crimp connectors with proper wire nuts.
Connect all the whites together.
Connect all the blacks together and to a short black pigtail.
Connect the red wire and the black pigtail to the switch.

Now go to the receptacles.
Inspect the hot side( gold screws). If there is a red wire on one of the gold screws then make sure the tab between the two screws is cut.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back