Rain barrel installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albertkao

Reaction score
I buy a rain barrel and put a downspout diverter as shown in the attached file.
I wonder whether the downspout diverter is placed too low than the top of the rain barrel. If it is placed too low, what is the solution?
Do I saw the downspout so that I can raise the downspout diverter?

Rainbarrel1.JPG

I would most definitely move the diverter above the top of the barrel. This works because it is gravity fed, If it is below the top of the barrel, it will not work.

The saw in the photo is for cutting wood and will ruin the blade if you use it on the metal down pipe. What you need is a hack saw with a fine tooth metal blade. They are not to expensive and can be found at all hardware stores.

really cool rain diverter, i recently saw one of these installed at a home, went to lowes and home depot (keep in mind im from Canada) had no luck finding them! went to canadian tire and they have one made by a company called yardworks.

could you share with me where you got yours?

really cool rain diverter, i recently saw one of these installed at a home, went to lowes and home depot (keep in mind im from Canada) had no luck finding them! went to canadian tire and they have one made by a company called yardworks.

could you share with me where you got yours?

I got the diverter from Canadian tire.

this is a maybe 'cause i don't see the whole down spout, but i'm guessing you put it there 'cause there was a place to disconnect the downspout already. if you don't want to cut it still, it might be possible to put it at the top, right under the gutter. if that worked you'd also need to lenthen the hose going to the barrel, or raise the barrel 'til the hose can reach (which might help with using the stored water), if you can get it that high.

just throwin' that out there.

Back