whole house brown out protection

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rokosz

Reaction score
I understand surge protectors and the equivalent for a whole house. But...

In another post someone mentioned that lightning is not the same as a surge. (or its a truly massive, immediate surge).

Are there whole house minor and massive/lightning surge protectors?

Will some of the same do whole house brown-out protection?

brown-outs can be as damaging as surges and perhaps a bit more stealthy over time.

I presume a brown-out protector would reduce the juice to zero so units aren't damaged by lo-v?

finally, on average it seems like whole house protectors are in the $800 range yes? Is installation more _convenient_ ie less $ if done when a gennie is installed at the same time? Seems like it would be...

Hah! which begs another question: if the brown-out occurs, and the protector reduces juice to zero into the panel -- does the genny then kick on? Whoa, and is the protector in-between the genny and panel too? or is a 2nd unit needed? wow, this is getting very circular, sorry & thanks if you can help. B

I have never heard of brown out protector other than a UPS. A whole house UPS would be rather expensive.

I looked at them from Emerson, the cost was rather cheap (200 bucks). You put right in your panel. Ill try to find the model and post it here

I looked at them from Emerson, the cost was rather cheap (200 bucks). You put right in your panel. Ill try to find the model and post it here

$200 for a whole house UPS? Post a link.

Thanks for the ideas. A quick search leads me to think Emerson leans more toward data center up-time. Nooutage.com does list a few "whole house" items (all over $1K).

If it isn't out there, seems like a marketing/engineering opp: whole house surge protectors are common (What about the lightning question in the OP?) but a brown-out
protector could be as valuable given the electronics that are in _everything_ these days. Maybe Homeowner's ins would provide a small discount for having one...
On the other hand: My K appliances' clocks all work fine during brown outs....

Its not a UPS, its more of a whole house Surge protector. The place i libed before would lose power and have surges all the time. A few electronics couldn't handle it so I started looking into options.

If i lose power, it wont supply any power but it will protect everything in the house

Still like to see a link to know exactly what it does.
I suspect it has some sort master relay that cuts all the power to the house it the voltage drops below a certain threshold to avoid applying low voltage to your home.

EMC-240B

I also use a monster power center that regulates the power coming in so when it dips, the power center keeps it at 110.

That is a surge suppressor. There are many versions of that available.
We were discussing whole house brown out protection. Brown out by my definition is low voltage, below 100 volts.

Latest posts

Back