Repair gap between patio and doorway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eightbt

Reaction score
The entryway to my house has a concrete sill which leads out to a small concrete slab (patio/stoop). An unsightly gap has formed between the two, which I would like to repair. I was thinking about filling it with a bunch of backer rods and putting some patching compound on top. I'm concerned, however, about the patch crumbling after a few years because of the two slabs shifting/expanding. What would you guys recommend? How can I keep the patch from breaking away, while also protecting the foundation under the doorway from rain?

(Yeah, I know. I should have patched it before re-painting the patio. Better late than never...)

IMG_20150904_175314597.jpg

IMG_20150904_175323749.jpg

IMG_20150904_175329743.jpg

Looks like frost is moving it around. Where do you live?

I would try and get something flexible to seal it with that could handle the movement. Others will be along with more advice.

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like frost is moving it around. Where do you live?

I would try and get something flexible to seal it with that could handle the movement. Others will be along with more advice.

Welcome to the forum.
Thanks!

I live in northern Delaware. It does get plenty cold in the winter.

I guess I could patch top and bottom pieces and leave a quarter inch gap between the two. Then go back later with some of that expansion joint caulk to seal out the water. Unfortunately it's a pretty thick gap (2 inch), so I wouldn't want to use only the expansion joint stuff.

Latest posts

Back