Making a Lawn from Mud

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayN

Reaction score
I currently have an acre for my backyard. Right now due to the rainy season it is just mud. Is now a good time to lay down grass seeds? When is the best time? Should I do anything first, like fertilizer, or since the ground is so wet do I need to do anything?

I currently have an acre for my backyard. Right now due to the rainy season it is just mud. Is now a good time to lay down grass seeds? When is the best time? Should I do anything first, like fertilizer, or since the ground is so wet do I need to do anything?

Hi JayN:

It isn't a good idea to try to start a lawn in waterlogged soil. The seeds will usually just rot. Once your soil drys out, you'll have much better results.

As to what you need to do, below is a link to the website of the California State Extension Service:

Agriculture and Natural Resources - University of California

This website will tell you how to contact your local County Extension Service where you can get detailed advice that is specific to your local area. I don't know if the budget cutbacks have restricted their services, but (when I lived further south than Redding) they used to provide a service that would test your soil and tell you if any additives are necessary. They also provide advice on the best seed to use and how to prepare the seed bed.

I agree. Wait for the ground to dry out. You can't grade mud anyway. A machine can sink in this stuff and crush underground utilities too!

Do any of these spots seem to be muddy longer than others? Since you don't have a perfect lawn at this point, it may be a good time to go ahead and fix any drainage areas you can identify, since you wouldn't want to tear up grass at a later point.

I agree. Wait for the ground to dry out. You can't grade mud anyway. A machine can sink in this stuff and crush underground utilities too!

I never thought about underground utilities; good to know when I redo my automatic sprinkler system. I always have issues with mud around my pond and it has both water & gas pipes near it.

Back