Wood flooring and trim

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hometec

Reaction score
I have done my first laminant floor 2 of them in my house. After buying what I thought where good knee pads at $60 I gained a whole new respect for people that lay tile, carpet or overall flooring. Now to my question because I have to finish now that I started. I don't have the slightest idea how to corner the trim or end were it goes into another room. I don't want to make that phone call and lose face.

Hello Hometec:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about 'cornering the trim' but I think you need to miter your corners (whether inside or outside corners). Use a rented miter saw to do the work.
To end the trim you can make an outside miter on the last piece and create a 'return' on it by cutting the opposite outside miter on the end of a small piece and then cut it off square at the back of the miter. This piece can be glued onto the last piece and make it look it grew there.
If you were talking about how to end the laminate floor at another room, you can get a threshold strip to match the flooring, cut it to fit half way under the door or, in the absence of a door you can install it half way of the opening.
Glenn

Here's a quick drawing. As far as transitions joints go there's 2 ways.
1- click flooring has there own transitions pieces, they come in a package that contains a u-track screws and the transitions piece. The transition u-track is screwed to the floor about a 1/4" away from the flooring and then the transition piece is snapped in. Becarefull now make sure that the u track is far enough away from the flooring that it does not get hung up on the flooring and when you screw that u-track in make sure it is nice and staight. I always install these after the baseboard moulding is in so if the transition gets damaged you can remove it without disrupting the base trim.
2- finishing stores have real wood transitiond pieces that are glued or nailed or even screwed with little caps but is a little more work involved.

moulding.JPG

Hello Hometec:
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking about 'cornering the trim' but I think you need to miter your corners (whether inside or outside corners). Use a rented miter saw to do the work.
To end the trim you can make an outside miter on the last piece and create a 'return' on it by cutting the opposite outside miter on the end of a small piece and then cut it off square at the back of the miter. This piece can be glued onto the last piece and make it look it grew there.
If you were talking about how to end the laminate floor at another room, you can get a threshold strip to match the flooring, cut it to fit half way under the door or, in the absence of a door you can install it half way of the opening.
Glenn

Good stuff Glen... now I've got it sussed!

John

Back