Concrete Sealers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akarka

Reaction score
I plan on installing a "floating" laminate flooring in my basement over concrete. I was wanting to seal the concrete floor with something? I have already treated the block walls with Dry-Loc. Can I do the floor with the Dry-Loc or is there something better/cheaper? Home Depot guy told me to use Thompsons Water Seal, but I read that it was for exterior use only. I plan on laying a vapor barrier, but just thought I would seal the concrete as well.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

akarka; sealing a basement from the inside is akin to caulking a boat from the inside, or like sticking your finger in a dyke. At some point it will leak. However, that said, it is also realized that you are accomplishing this sealing after the house/foundation was built. Sooo, your solution of using DryLoc on the walls is both understandable and acceptable. Properly applied, it should do the job just fine. For the floor, why not the DryLoc also. Again, with good preparation, you should be able to achieve equally as good results. I would go to DryLoc's website if you have any real concerns about the floor, and pose those questions directly to the manufacturer. In the same vane, I would try the websites of Sika, Master Builders, Euclid, and W.R.Grace. They are all nationally recognized producers of concrete repair and maintanance products, concrete admixtures, as well as manufacturer's of similar products for masonry applications; i.e. including many and varied types of sealers. regards; Jerry Janson

True, laminate flooring does not like moisture as we all know. But I think if you keep adequate ventilation in your basement, you shouldn't have a problem as long as you don't have a major problem with water coming into the basement during rains or snow melt.

applying ANYTHING on an interior wall/floor without doing a moisture test FIRST invites tragic failure - even tho we do waterproofing for a living, we've NEVER had any success w/drylock when used below-grade negative side ! your experience may be different but i'd bet on our side of the coin :(

all due respect to s-pack, that link's not applicable,,, your vapor barrier's the 2nd best suggestion,,, & STOP listening to apron-wearing people,,, thompson's water-seal's the absolute wrong mtl,,, however, it IS your bsmt !

Back