just blown my circuit breakers! help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
hair straightener, bathroom lights and fan and ac and a few other things requiring power were all on at the same time on one end of the house. now there is no power, ive reset the breakers and nothing happened. still no power on that side. how do i fix? thanks

The breaker could have failed; you need to remove the panel cover and put an incand. bulb between the breaker output [black wire] and the ground bus.

Or a marginal wirenut connection failed. This need to be traced along the path that this particular cable follows.

I was out at a friends house last weekend replacing stairs, hand rail and railing around the deck and when using a chop saw we popped a breaker. All the breakers in the panel were not tripped, but a plug on the garage wall had a trip breaker and I reset it and all was fine. Check and see if you might have the same issue.

check for tripped GFIC outlets and if that doesn't yeild anything, try resetting the breaker again. If still no power then remove the panel from the breaker box and check for voltage out of the breaker with a voltmeter. If voltage then start then start removing outlets on that circuit to see if something burned up. If no voltage then replace the breaker with a new one of the same amperage. The light bulb method is another way but, you'd have to rig one up and is subject to a shock. Short of that, your in for a hefty bill from an electrician to hunt down the cause.

Latest posts

Back