Foundation Block Failing

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmang1

Reaction score
In one corner of the house. I'm on a 1300 SF single level ranch, built over a lovely crawlspace. I suspect the block is on a footing but I haven't actually confirmed. Is this a DIY or should I just suck it up and call a contractor??!!!!!:cool:

Welcome Gmang:
I think it can be done DIY but I'm not clear on the type of failure. Is there a block that is crushing, is there a crack in the wall, or has it dropped away from the floor of the house?
You can confirm the footing by sticking a metal rod in the ground at the wall and see if you hit concrete.
It may be helpful to include some pictures of the problem and we can give a more exact answer.
Glenn

I don't think we are capable of, just by a forum post, measure the extent of a foundation problem enough to give you any advice.
Personally I don't think of foundation repair as a DIY job, specially if there is even the slight suspicion of structural problems.
My advice to you is... get a structural engineer to take a look at it and tell you what to do.
Call a foundation repair contractor and have them take a look at what needs to be done.
Choose from those offering free estimates, so you won't even have to pay to find out what is wrong.
Choose someone who's been in business for a while and has a good reputation (check info about them at the BBB).
And then, make your decision.

Just beware of contractors that diagnose a suspected problem and then propose a easy solution. Because they are actually selling their service they are really not working for you.

First, probe with a rod (easy to do) to see what is there. After that, you can either call for a freebie opinion and quote or hire a professional the is not selling work, but is working for you for a opinion fee.

Back