drywall to plater

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chauncey12

Reaction score
hey, im doing some sheetrock in an old house and i am trying to repair a section. the old part and drywall with kind of a jagged edge and im fitting a piece of sheetrock next to it to tape together... obviously old plaster is hard to cut straight, but how big of a gap can i get away with , with joint compound? thanx

A 1/4" crack filled with joint compound will crack. Re-fill it with compound when it does and again if you need to. You can fill a larger crack but you really need to use a fiberglass mesh tape so the compound will have more integrity and it will dry much quicker.

so basicallytape over all the plaster to sheetrock joints.... awesome. thanx

i was thinking plaster it in between first and then tape? to fill the bigger gaps?

Filling without tape might be ok if you could keep it from falling out when it dries. Might be better to use the mesh tape and crush it through the tape to fill the wide cracks.

Setting type compound or hot mud is good for filling large cracks without cracking or shrinking so much also you have the ability to mix it thick to fill the crack. Often what I will do is mix a small batch of 20 min. compound fill in the crack before taping and usually by the time you get your bucket cleaned out the compound will be ready to tape.

Back