Mansard Roof - Heating AND Cooling issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amueller

Reaction score
Not sure where to begin :) I guess I'll begin by saying that when it's 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside, it's over 99 (that's as high as the thermostat reads) in my office on the second floor.

We have a low sloped mansard style roof (approximately 18 inches from the center of the roof to the roof joists). It is a rubber roof until it gets to the sides of the house where the Mansard roof is vertical asphalt shingles (with no soffit ventilation).

I have re-insulated the attic and could call an insulation company at any time and they will ALWAYS tell me to put more insulation in :) Of course, that just allows them to make more money. I don't think that is the problem.

The roof venting: It essentially looks like there is a pipe sticking out of the roof (about a 3 inch metal pipe). I assume that is some sort of vent, but haven't taken a real good look at it.

there has to be something specific to do for Mansard roofs, but I can't find that information anywhere after searching for quite awhile... .I really want to get this house more efficient.

At this point, winter heating costs our house more than houses double it's size (about $500-$600 month for 2500 square feet). It's ridiculous. We have hot water heat and no air conditioning (except window units). The window units, if we turn them on at night will take a good 4 hours to cool off the rooms since they are about 100 degrees.

Pleeeeeaaaaassssseeee help if you have ideas :)

The pipe you see sticking through the top of the roof is probally a plumbing vent pipe. It does not ventilate your attic area.

Ventilation in a attic is a 2 part equation. You have to allow for attic air discharge (high in the roof) and intake of cool air (along the sofit) setting up a chimney effect. Is your attic built out? If so did the contractor install baffles to allow for air flow under the roof decking? Restricted air flow will not ventilate. A properly balanced vent system is often overlooked in a roof installation. This adds cost and a lot of roof installers bid work on price alone.

Does your local utility district do energy audits?

Last edited:
Back