Drain In foundation Wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCox44

Reaction score
I hope you all can tell me is this is a bad idea or not. I purchased my first home last February, and the crawl space has had water issues ever since. I recent tracked the source of water down to a hole in the block wall running to corrugated pipes that I assume drain out into the yard.

Someone has installed the vapor barrier plastic and a sump pump with a ditch running all around the internal parameter of the crawl space.

My question is would it be a bad call to just plug that drainage hole? I am thinking the pipes have collapsed and that causes water from the gutters to back feed into the crawl space and then out the sump pump.

Thanks,

It wouldn’t hurt to try it and see what happens. Just plug it in a way you can unplug it if you have a worst problem as the result.

that sounds like a good plan. I went overboard and got some hydraulic cement to plug it. But better to do a temp job for now.

No, there has been a problem that some one has attempted to fix. Plug the hole and you allow the water to build up in the wall and it will pop out some where else or in the winter if you are in a colder zone the water in the wall can freeze and damage the wall.

Back