Blow torch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcambece

Reaction score
Have anyone you ever used a blow torch for glass working? Im going to try it and hope i dont kill myself...I have no prior experiance with glass working or torches, but i cant learn if i dont try...wish me luck

Cambece

Wear your kevlar suit.....Just be careful of any air pockets in the glass....they explode when heated.
I have never tried this...I would ask a glass blower some questions before there was hot,molten, scalding, liquid, melting, exploding glass.;)

jcambece said:
Have anyone you ever used a blow torch for glass working? Im going to try it and hope i dont kill myself...I have no prior experiance with glass working or torches, but i cant learn if i dont try...wish me luck

Cambece
Hay buddy I dont glass blowin from blowin a dandlion. Just dont breathe in!!!

Does anyone know how to melt a small hole in a glass jar safely? I wonder if a blow torch would do it? It needs to be about the size of a dime. any suggestions?

A torch will shatter the glass. You're better off to drill it with a diamond core bit. They're kind of pricey, but that's the only way I know to do it. Maybe someone else will be along with some ideas.

By the way, you shoud start a new topic for new questions. Otherwise it looks like the old topic being continued and won't get as much response. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try drilling it. If it breaks, all I have to do is eat some more pickles. :(

Even Home Depot has cheap diamond drills to drill small holes in glass. I've seen my friend who is a glassblower blow a hole in glass with a torch but I wouldn't try it myself because of the skill involved. The type of glass would affect the hole, I suspect.

P.S. I've seen people drill holes in glass with a steel tube and carborendum grit. Fill the tube, put it in your drill and have at it.

Hello Cambece:
You might try putting your torch to the mouth of the jar for a few seconds first and warm the whole thing, then try popping a hole in the side. Jars break because of uneven heat.
Glenn

Latest posts

Back