Can I prevent bamboo from overtaking my backyard?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilyaz

Reaction score
We've lived in our house for about 13 years now and when we moved in, we already had bamboo growing in the far back corner of our yard. Over the years we have not done much to it except for stomping fresh shoots every spring.

Not sure if it's too late already, but I am trying to figure out if I can control its growth and prevent it from taking over my yard completely. I am also looking for solutions that will not force to sell my house to be able to afford them. :)

The photo shows most of my backyard. This spring I am seeing fresh shoots coming out of the ground near the shed.

In front and to the left is a patio The patio is linked to a long driveway beside our house (You can't really see them). I am seeing shoots along the driveway essentially on the other side of the house!

Ideally, I don't want to get rid of bamboo completely. Not sure if that's even possible given that it grows on our neighbors' properties too. I think I want to restrict it to the far left "epicenter" corner by putting up some type of barrier around it. Can I get rid of the rest (at least closer to the shed) by digging up the yard and removing all roots? How deep would I have to dig? What sort of barrier should I use? Thx

bamboo.jpg

Back