variance in standard tub size?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitehart

Reaction score
We have a fiberglass, one-piece tub/shower surround from the 70's that was ugly from the day it was put in. (To those few who like avacado green, I apologize.) It also has some plumbing issues (as in my recent other post.) If we replace it, we need to have another tub/shower combo. It fills the end of a very small bath, and we can't afford to move the walls.

Here's the problem:
Wall to wall across the front of it is 59 1/2 inches.
Standard tubs are 5', right? What are the tolerances on that? Would a standard size fit there, or are they actually 60 inches?

If I have to buy an off-size, where do I find one at a decent price?

The last time I was shopping for a tub, I found that several manufacturers varied their sizes tremendously. The only way to determine if a new tub would fit is to remove your old tub and measure the rough size.

Evan when you measure the tub and they should fit. some times the plastic tubs get destorted a bit and need a little more room. Just notch the studs a little and slide the tub in no one will ever know. It's only full size at the flange so it's no big deal.

Exactly. If your tub is currently 59 1/2 inches wide right now, I'm sure the opening will accommodate a 6' tub.

Back