backyard makeover

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmqmqm

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My backyard is currently full of weeds and they are growing pretty tall. I am looking for suggestions as to what and how to makeover the backyard?
I am looking for something reasonably easy to maintain and looks reasonably nice.
Should I re-sod? Although grass can be challenging to maintain, as weed will come out continuously.
Can I just mow the weed every week, so they stay short and look green anyway?
Should I just plant clovers as a ground cover? Or throw down some wild flower seeds?
Or make a garden?
Some kind of landscaping that's not too costly?

I know this is an open-ended questions. I'm just trying to get rid of the weed.

By the way I live in Southern Canada. About 5 months a year, the backyard is covered by snow.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

backyard.jpg

If you don’t really use it. Then I would just mow the weeds once a week scatter some grass seed if you want to improve the looks and put on some weed and feed if you want to slowly make it look better.

If you want a backyard masterpiece then the sky is the limit.

Just for the record my yard is mowed weeds and whatever else God plants there.

Early fall is the best time to plant grass. Cut the weeds really short, overseed the yard with grass seed, keep it watered and apply a pre-emergent before the spring growing season. Fall is also the best time to fertilize. At least that's what I've been told.

Anything you do out there - short of concrete - is going to require maintenance. A garden would look nice, but probably requires the most work, especially since you would be fighting the return of all those weeds ( but remember a weed is only a wildflower growing in the wrong place). I had a Bio prof. who liked to say that grass was the least productive plant you could grow. it does almost nothing for the environment and then you use a power mower to cut it.

That being said, most weeds can't tolerate being cut so short by a mower and so most will disappear if you keep mowing. Overseed with grass and that will help to replace the weeds that die. Eventually you will have more grass than weeds.

If you are not using the area as garden then you can use it as Kitchen Garde. Grow nutritious vegetables in your own garden.

Latest posts

Back