A/c running but not cooling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosprocharger

Reaction score
hi guys im new to the thread and have an hvac concern. i have two units, one for upstairs, and one for the middle and downstairs. the other day the main level unit quit blowing cold. after noticing this i went outside to check out the unit. i found that the fan motor was still blowing strong but neither high or the low side lines were hot or cold. i removed the panel and saw that the switch was cycling when turned off and on. i saw that the unit only had 1 capacitor and the fan and compressor both ran on it.I assumed that it was good since the fan still worked well so i unplugged the fan from it to see if i could hear the compressor. i turned it back on and couldnt hear or feel it running, but i only waited a second or two for it to come on. does it take a sec. to come on or should it immedietly come on? i didnt have my meter so i didnt check voltage to it. Unplugging the fan from the cap shouldnt have affected it should it? And if the compressor goes out do you have to replace the unit? I'm a little short of knowledge when it comes to this stuff so any advise will help. Thanks alot guys.

does the capacitor look swollen? Often times only one load will work when they swell.... either the compressor or the fan. The compressor should have come on right away.

no the cap isnt swollen at all, and i dont have a meter to check farads, would it be cheap enough to replace this just to see or should i find a meter to test it?

new capacitor = less than $20 New meter to check capacitor = at least $100

Latest posts

Back