new house, questions about subfloor, undelayment

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianC

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I just have some basic questions about trying to install ceramic tile. I ripped out all the carpet in my new house and all I have underneath is one layer of wood(?) Underneath this wood is nothing? I was under the impression that there needs to plywood under there. Is that(pictures) plywood and can I simply add cement board on top of it and intsall tiles afterwards?

20141213_163554.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Lack of pluwood may just show the age of the house. Have you got access to the under side of this floor like crawlspace or basement. The length and size of the floor joist and there distance apart are also very important questions for the flooring guys.

Yes, I have access to that space. I will get back to you with the measurements. Thanks for the prompt response!

As old as that floor looks I'd guess there's 1 X 6's on the diagonal for a subfloor.
There was no such thing as plywood years ago.

This look almost in damage condition.

Looks like a typical old hardwood floor with paint overspray and pad staples. Regardless, you can't put ceramic on it without a layer of plywood on top of the hardwood, then thinset, CBU, thinset and the tile. That is, if everything else is ok for tile.

Back