Remodeling restroom

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

We are planning to remodel the restroom. Currently, the shower tub is a one piece fiberglass.

When people remodel the restroom, do they replace the faucet valve? Right now the faucet trimming is gold color :mad:(the outer knob controls the water flow, the inside piece controls the water temperature). If I can find a different color trimming, I would be fine. But does the valve go bad after number of years?

My concern is with wet copper pipe. The water valve to the house doesn't close tightly so I have a slight drip. My brother is helping with the project.

Thanks,
TT

Last edited:
Making sure the water shut off valve is working properly should be your first project.

Last edited:
When people remodel the restroom, do they replace the faucet valve?
Most people will want something newer if budget permits.

Does the valve go bad after number of years?
Eventually yes, mostly dependent upon the water, water can be abrasive.

Making sure the water shut off valve is working properly should be your first project.

Good idea. The city valve on the sidewalk and the one at my house are old (they can't stop water completely). It was a pain when I had to replace controller valves for sprinkler. I almost try the tiger bite (without glue but don't trust it yet), but after a few tries the glue finally stick.

Sure you are ready to tackle a project this big? If so, you have a great adventure ahead of you.

1. The City is responsible for a properly operating shut off on their side fo the meter. Call them to replace the bad one and you will easily be able to shut off the system by turning off their side. Neal is right too ... open the hose bib (FAUCET) in the lowest part of the house and it will drain residual water and seepage pressure.

2. Plan on replacing your mixing valve in the shower when you rip out that dated shower surround. If you are tiling, then you will have to calculate the placement of the new valve because the tile backer + tile is probably different from what is there now ... Do you know how to sweat copper? Have you considered PEX (plastic) piping instead?

3. The shower itself will be an issue .... a new shower pan is needed, which can come as a pre-fab. It can also come as a high density foam product which can then be tiled. Dizzy yet?

4. While you are remodeling that, consider the vent fan, which is probably obsolete, noisy and ugly. Gotta go.

5. Then there is the electrical ... you must have a GFCI receptacle on this circuit. If you don't you need to get one because it keeps you from dying.

6. The vanity, counter top and faucet ... probably suck. But, you can carefully repaint, change hardware and add a new faucet. A whole new look for not much $$$

7. The mirror ... if it is a huge 80's plate glass mirror, trash it or frame it with wood. If you trash it, you can replace it with one or two smaller mirrors which are picture framed. That is the trend. If you chose to keep it and add a big frame, you can find them pre-made to your dimensions online. Easy to assemble and install.

8. This leaves the medicine cabinet. After all the other work is done, it will look like a bad dream. Replace it too.

READY TO GO TO WORK? :D

Latest posts

Back