New to this site...not to home improvement!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onryx2

Reaction score
My wife and I bought 1938 house....found out the the guy who remodeled it did a half #$# job. Anyway, we have now remodeled the doorways, kitchen, upstairs bathroom and now the utility room which is an addon. I am tearing down the drywall and found some wood that has been rotted out. Once I replace this, can I hand beadboard onto the studs or do I have to put up drywall first?

I hope to be on this site alot...hope to get answers.

Thanks.

If you plan to install beadboard vertically, you will need to at least put blocking in the walls to nail it to. Wether you run vertically or horizontally, you need to put plastic on the walls first, then the beadboard. You NEED the vapor barrier to keep the beadboard from cupping and twisting.

Drywall behind the beadboard is fine. It makes a stout and quiet wall.

The drywall needs to be taped, but it doesn't have to be finished perfectly. Just get the joints filled flush and cover the nails or screws. The beadboard will lay against the wall better, smoother, solid as anything, easier to trim.

Welcome to the forum!
Tom

Ok ,what he said.

We always glue our beadboard to the sheetrock, Just a little extra help.:)

Back