Got a leak - whos a plumber? Pic...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stickercutting

Reaction score
I can do basic copper work, but I am a little stumped on the best way to fix this one. I am not sure how much of the piping needs to come out or if I need to be careful when adding heat to the handle.

Anyone know the best way to fix this one? The pipe going from the wall is the main into my house. It then goes to a water heater, etc.

It all seems so tight in there as in no working room for the joints to even come apart, how do I pull this one off? The circled area is where there is a small leak. Its coming from the joint above the handle.

leak.jpg

I just love how the previous owners just slopped flux all over the place and made it a huge mess.

Just cut out as much or as little, whichever the case may be and replace. I say this because I would not even worry about saving the handle to begin with. Why mess with an old shut off that will probably be your next leak next year if you do not replace the whole section now as you are there doing it anyway. In other words, cut the whole damn thing out and replace it all new.

Amen to that. Also consider the age of the rest of it. Not sure, but copper depending on the hardness of the water has a finite lifespan. Plumbers jump in please.

Turn the valve off at the curb (you can build a tool with a piece of pipe), then replace it all up to that pressure/check valve. I just did something similar and I used a full port ball valve instead of the gate variety. Gates leak in 3-4 years.

Back