Please help! Old cement patio foundation crumbling - REPAIR??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misko746

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a patio foundation that is in need of some serious help, has been for quite some years now. The front wall has crumbled in places to where I can see what I assume to be rebar and others are just gaping holes. I'd like to repair this wall and make it safe and not such an eyesore. The problem is I'm not sure if it can be "patched up" or if a more serious/extensive repair is needed. :confused: If anyone is experienced or knowledgeable with something like this and could offer some advice I'd greatly appreciate any input. Thanks so much!!

20150425_115116_zps6pvz68qc.jpg

20150425_115141_zpslok2shr2.jpg

It's toast.Needs to be torn out and rebuilt or poured.

I agree it needs to be removed and replaced back beyond where its damaged a block or two. What do you think the cause was? And is there a plan so it wont happen again.

The patio is pretty large so tearing the whole thing down isn't really an option - I'm really not sure what caused the blocks to crumble like they did - this patio has been there for about 40 years. I don't know how I'd prevent this from happening again to be honest. I've never worked with masonry or anything so I'm completely clueless here haha

You can probably replace the wall in sections so you don't have to tear out the patio. You may have to do some slurry backfill work under the patio where dirt has been washed away. It is totally possible to replace without tearing extra out but it will be a little more work on your part.

Back