Best Mulch for a Play Area

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rono73

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm putting together a new swingset, and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on the type of mulch to spread beneath it. Rubber mulch is cost prohibitive for me right now.

I was thinking baout using the bigger bark pieces, instead of the finer red or black mulch. Any thoughts or experience with this? Thanks.

Yes - The best for a playground, in my opinion, is the larger pieces. Normal mulch is pretty dirty, so is the shredded tire stuff. There was a guy near me who used to show it on his website but its not there anymore. It looks like hunks of wood, no small pieces at all. We did a church playground with many hundred cubic yards of the stuff and it lasted for years.

Grass or dirt is what we had (and probably you) when I was a kid and we survived.

I've always been a fan of sand; however, costs can be adverted since it's not hard to get "free sand" depending where you live ;) A few trips and some 5 gallon buckets and you're in business.

I have to admit that I have a special place in my heart for the small stone gravel that you find in school yards. Reminds me of my childhood. Can be very dusty though.

The problem with sand, depending on where you live, is that cats will use it as a litterbox. If there are no stray cats in the area then you're good to go, but if there are then it won't be the best place to play.

Back