What does this mean?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what this stamp means on wood?

image-1966835387.jpg

SYP = southern yellow pine
KD = kiln dried
HT = heat treated to kill bugs
TP = mill or accrediting agency
No. 2 = wood grade ... this is good structure for the price. Best value
Not sure about the "283" number

You "Like"?

CallMeVilla said:
SYP = southern yellow pine
KD = kiln dried
HT = heat treated to kill bugs
TP = mill or accrediting agency
No. 2 = wood grade ... this is good structure for the price. Best value
Not sure about the "283" number

You "Like"?

Thanks Villa. Not sure if I like it yet or not. I paid someone to build small landing and stairs into my house and this is what they used. Is this considered pressure treated?

Thanks for clarifying your concern ... HT and KD do not indicate pressure treated, although the heat treating does kill critters. The pressure treating process requires infusing the wood with chemicals. Your stamp does NOT indicate pressure treating.

The stamp you want is a "UC" stamp. UC2 will be the lowest grade of pressure treated lumber, and this means it's protected from weather but still subject to moisture damage. It's best used in interior construction. UC3B is best for decking, railing, and fences as it's treated to withstand prolonged moisture. UC4A is similar, but can be used in applications where the wood will be underground as well, such as privacy fence posts. UC4B is best for permanent foundations and utility poles as it will resist moisture and decay if placed underground.

This might also be helpful: http://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/122137/270.pdf

:D

The PT means it was pressure treated, that's the only way they treat southern yellow pine, you can tell by the color of the wood also. Usually there will be a sticker on the ends of the boards indicating the amount of chems in the wood with .15 for above ground contact & .40 for ground contact. All your post should be rated at .40

In some of the western states they treat fir & hemlock with incisions in the wood & soak it as pressure treating doesn't work on that species of wood.

The number 2 is the grade of the yellow piine board and has nothing to do with the treatment. Prime means less wane on the edges than regular #2 grade allows. I'd bet a cnote that board came from Lowes.

The number 283 indicates which mill the board was milled at. Most mills do not treat lumber, that's done at another location.

Back