Toilet will not flush

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goukcats

Reaction score
I just found this great forum & have a question. I have a four year house & all 3 commodes are Jacuzzi. The basement commode periodically will not flush. It may have flushed fine yesterday & today it will not flush. It will resolve its self over night or a couple days later. Today I ran a closet auger thru the toilet. This didn't help. I also removed the toilet & ran a 25 ft snake through the lines. There was water in the bottom of the drain line, about 2 ft down where it elbowed into another line. There was no water in this approx 2 ft vertical pipe. I installed a new wax ring & reset the commode. It still will not flush. Is this a vacuum issue? I have no problems with anything else in the basement. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks in advance

Water should not be sitting in the pipe. If it has blocked air to the vent the toilet will have trouble flushing. Sounds like a problem under the floor.

Thanks for the quick response. I thought it was strange that water was in the pipe. I did pour about 2 gal of water into the pipe while the toilet was off and the water level did not rise. I already have a call into a plumber. I guess it will require a longer auger. Previously it wasn't a big deal but my mom just moved in with us & this is her primary bathroom. She wants her own space so I want to get a final cure.

I would try letting the tank fill more with water and try it. This is a common and easy fix sometimes.

Yes, check that the water level in the tank is up to the mark.

I have had this problem before it turned out to be something in the toilet itself at the back of the bend. At times it would be push to the back and let everything flush normally and sometimes it would move slightly forward and it would not flush properly. A snake just pushed it out of the way. It would work a couple of times and stop. I finally replaced the toilet, took the old one and broke it open and found a deodorant case stuck in the P-trap.

Sound like the pipe is back pitch under ground or broke. Call a plumber and have them camera the line then you will know what going on under the ground also see if the line is vented.

update...The toilet cured its self as previously. The toilet made a bubbling sound and I checked it afterwards. It flushed fine. I had a plumber run a camera down the drain. I have water standing in appox 30 ft of the 75 ft drain. While the commode was off, I filled the tank with water & flushed it outside. It worked fine. Everything is working fine now but I need a permanent resolution. My septic tank is 4 to 5 ft below the surface on a slope & there is no clean out on the tank. I can't believe it is full but I have called someone to dig down & expose the tank top & line connections to the tank. I will move forward based on what I find. Thanks for all the feed back.

Where is the 30ft at? If it Is the last 30ft at the tank then it your tank. Clogged or need to be pump out. If it the 30ft from the water closet the the pipe has a bow in it. Will need to be fix at that point. Hope it not the hole 30ft. Dig it up and see what going on. Not going to get better.

If the septic tank is working properly it should stay at a certain level and when you have it pumped, that guy should be able to tell you if it has been over filled which would indicate a problem with the field. The toilet should still flush intil the pipe is full unless there is a problem with venting, did the plumber check the vent stack.

Back