Help - Please Name This Bath Sink

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmolg

Reaction score
I have decided on the beautiful Pfister Skye F-049-SYKK faucet and I want an undermount-type rectangular sink. As I am doing a Formica countertop (maybe) a Home Depot bath designer told me that I couldn't mount the handles & faucet onto the Formica (?). If this is true then no big deal as I have decided that I don't really like that look and Pfister has inspired me with this photo of the Skye widespread faucet mounted onto what appears to be a "semi-undermount" sink. Actually, I think that this is an optical illusion and that the sink is a top mount but I could be wrong. Opinions?

f-049-sykk-rct-v1

You can not and should not do a formica top with a below mount sink. It will leak at the seams and take out what ever you use under it.
That sink looks like a drop in sink to me. And way to shallow to be any good. All I can see is it splashing all over the place and not even enough room to fill enough splash water on your face.
After paying all that money for just a faucet it would be a shame to cheap it up with a flat looking formica top anyway.
Look in Home Depot at the countertops there carrying that look like real granit tops. They even have a Roman Ogee on the back splash and front over hang.
Start looking Kohler. American Standard web sites for that sink. I just saw on in Lowes a few min. ago when I was there.
Here's one like it but this ones deep enough to use.
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecata...section=2&category=16&resultPage=0--480875553
And here's the faucet I found on Ebay.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YD7TKA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joe,

The Formica samples that I looked at with the Home Depot bath designer were pretty nice to me and I would custom order the finish. My decorator looked at the catalog and she is happy with it. That's not to say that I won't consider other alternatives but I have to stay on budget. I will be replacing my vanity as I am changing from 2 oval 21" sinks to 1 rectangular, probably 22" and probably a drop in as well (like that Kohler Archer, which I had seen earlier).

I had already seen the Amazon page for the Skye and placed it in my cart. Good watchin' out!

For sinks, I may go with this Decolav 1419, but the average price looks like $300-ish so that's maybe out. I do like the look tho.

Thank you for the great reply!

You can not and should not do a formica top with a below mount sink. It will leak at the seams and take out what ever you use under it.

Hi Joe,

The Formica samples that I looked at with the Home Depot bath designer were pretty nice to me and I would custom order the finish. My decorator looked at the catalog and she is happy with it. That's not to say that I won't consider other alternatives but I have to stay on budget.

Look for your budget to include a countertop that swells up like one of those dry flat sponges when you add water...

What makes a Home Depot Designer happy should not be part of the equation...
It should be what will make you happy....

Last edited:
Hi Redwood,

I appreciate your comments but I will probably go with a drop-in rectangular to save money and give me a bit more height, which is always nice (I don't have to bend over so far).

Fwiw, aside from providing an ordering medium for the countertop and vanity, "making a Home Depot Designer happy" is absolutely NOT part of the equation. I am using my own designer for the whole house and she is not a HD employee and she is mindful of my budget.

Thanks for your advice!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back