Expanding driveway

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

We want to expand the driveway so it will give us some more room. Currently its hard to park one car in the garage and reverse when another car is in the driveway.

From the left, at the edge of the driveway to the bush is 11 ft (43 ft feet long). I want to add 5 ft wide of concrete to start out and (will go til 16ft long) then widens to 7ft and finishing at the other end totally 269 sq ft.. Since the left side is hilly in some grass areas, the contractor said I will need a retainer block about 10 inches high along the edge. I do not like the look of the block since it looks too busy with the bushes, etc. Contractor suggested he will pour the block with concrete. I told him the dirt will be covered up once grass spreads (st augustine grass) or I can sort of round it down a little to give a naturally hilly look. The highest point of the grass now is 10" above our current driveway and its near the back left side.

We live in socal so it hardly rains. My other side of the front yard grass slopes down to the sideway and never had issues.

We will not expand the driveway approach. Your opinions?

Last edited:
I would just re-shape the lawn back to the tree line.
Have you looked at the other side, widening the garage approach so one car could park facing the hedge that is beside the garage?

Nealtw,

Do you mean reshape as to expand the area that is 5ft mentioned above to 7ft wide throughout? My friend had mentioned the right side but I like the idea of being able to park 3 cars comfortably in the future. I am not sure putting concrete on the right side would achieve this. A lot of owners around here place a gate where my original plan is and use it as an RV parking behind the gate.

Last edited:
10" slope on the landscaping doesn't seem like a problem to me.

Do yourself a favor and consider expanding that extra concrete to accommodate parking a RV or boat behind the fence. That will be extra money in your pocket if and when you ever sell your house.

The other option is to pour the concrete on a slope. I don't know how important it is for the drive to be level.

Do yourself a favor and consider expanding that extra concrete to accommodate parking a RV or boat behind the fence. That will be extra money in your pocket if and when you ever sell your house.

Yea. That might be part 2 since I just moved into the neighbor 2 months and don't want to make a quick impression.

OK Tony, that area looks familiar to me, since I also live in So Cal. What city is this? Based on the hill in the background, I'm guessing Glendora, Valinda, La Puente, or San Dimas?

I know it would eliminate the nice curve you have to the lawn, but I think I would want to put the concrete on the right side in front of the door to expand the driveway-- but that's just me.

OK Tony, that area looks familiar to me, since I also live in So Cal. What city is this? Based on the hill in the background, I'm guessing Glendora, Valinda, La Puente, or San Dimas?

Glendora (north side :))

Back