I want to remove a half wall being held up by a single 4x4

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tccriv

Reaction score
I have vaulted ceilings in the living room kitchen and dining room and I want to remove a half wall that divides the kitchen from the living room. It has on 4x4 that goes to the ceiling on the end of the wall. I went in the crawlspace and there is no piling under that part although it does rest on a beam that runs parallel to the wall I want to remove. My feeling is the post is there purely to hold the wall from warbling since it does not connect to the ceiling except for the 4x4. Is it safe to say that this post isn't needed as load bearing. There is not another post in the identical location on the other span of the vault in the living room. I have included two pics that I hope will help. Thanks for the help in advance.

wall 1.jpg

wall 2.jpg

wall 3.jpg

99 times out of 100 you will be right in that the wall and post was installed after the roof was framed and could be removed safely. The beam under does give you something to think about. As you will be patching the ceiling anyway, cut a small hole in the ceiling along side the post so you can get a hand up there and make sure that a rafter does not end or join above the post.
And welcome to the site.

Neal is right there is almost no chance that beam is doing anything except what you said stabilizing the wall and adding a visual element. I also love open plans. Have you a design for the rest of the kitchen, relocating the fridge etc? The ceiling shouldn’t be too much to patch and blend back in. The flooring most likely won’t extend under the wall.

we are going to build a fridge cabinet that will push into the living room and have a 6ft butcher block counter top and new base cabinets and a under counter small wine cooler come off of that. The tv is going to mount on the living room side of the fridge cabinet. Eventually we will change out the existing countertops to the butcher block ones also. It has been a long time coming with our family growing to open up that kitchen for more counter space and cupboards.

Sounds really nice. I just built an island with the wood top look 40x76 and two base cabinets and planned on a wine fridge below as well. the wine fridge was a little out of the budget now so I built in a mini fridge and other than the glass door I don’t see much difference in its function.

Keep us posted when you take out the post and during and after photos would be great of the project. Good luck

Nice, why didn't I think of that with the mini fridge. I will have to look into that instead. I know the wine cooler is the most expensive part of this remodel.:) We are really excited to do it. It will probably be after xmas unfortunately, but I will post pics.

I had plans to buy one more base unit and forget the wine fridge and we were at a garage sale and there was a black mini fridge that was the taller one that looked brand new. Seems some girl had it at school for one semester and never used it. I took a couple measurements and found it slightly shallower than a base the right width and the height was right only smaller by the amount of the toe kick. For 50 bucks it was worth the try. I built a base box to raise it up the height of the toe kick so a solid base board and shoe could go below it and on the back of the island I ran power and cut an opening for air to the compressor and one slot high to let any heat out. I tried it as is and it seemed to work ok but I mounted a little mini computer like fan run off of a small DC transformer for added cooling just in case. You can’t hear it at all. It’s a beer / wine fridge now and takes a lot of load out of the main fridge.

Back