Uneven outer wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Housenuts

Reaction score
Looks like there is a problem with an outer wall of the house, see the pictures. What could it be? What is this wall type? What would it take to fix it and what would be the cost? Thank you in advance!

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

The joys of vinyl siding. That looks more severe than a case of "oil canning" from the siding nails being too tight to the siding. What direction does this wall face? Does your neighbor have a lot of windows facing this wall that are in direct sun for a good period of time each day? Are the windows "low-e" glass? Why the two-tone? Is that a shadow from your neighbor's house?

Why is the siding two different colors?
Was there a fire at some time near that wall?

Thank you, Sparky617. This is a house that is "Coming soon" on the market and I was interested in. I was just curious how serious the issue is, whether it means structural problems and what the cost of fixing is.

Thank you, Sparky617. This is a house that is "Coming soon" on the market and I was interested in. I was just curious how serious the issue is, whether it means structural problems and what the cost of fixing is.

Is the two-tone look a shadow from the adjacent house? It seems really weird that the "oil-canning" is really only in the area where the siding appears to be darker. I suspect whoever hung the siding didn't know what they were doing and didn't allow for expansion (cut it too long) and nailed it tight.

Residing the house is going to be your only option. Adjust your offer price accordingly. If the market it is strong they buyer would be wise to get it done before they put it on the market. I would knock $20-30K off the price if it is priced comparably to other homes in the immediate area. I would replace the vinyl with Hardi-Plank or other fiber-cement siding material.

Latest posts

Back