Weird land survey

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A proper survey is the best way to go. When it's done you can get the certified copy which shows boundaries and location of buildings relative to those boundaries.
You'll probably upset a neighbor or two but you're the one paying taxes on the property...all of it.
It can also prevent issues if you decide to sell in the future. You don't want to lose a sale because of potential boundary disputes.
I would even tell your neighbors that you want the issue resolved because you're considering putting your property on the market. Even if you never do.

Sell the property to the squatters and move on or get serious about kissing butt because it sounds like you're in a town that they are all related to your neighbor.

I think the best solution is to file in small claims before you do anything, it only cost $160. That way the judge will hold the case and order that the survey costs are split. Why should i pay $1000 for a survey when it is the neighbors fault? At this point the bully neighbor is likely to back off, rather than risk paying the high survey fees. At worst case i lose $160, but it is really a fee for someone else to mediate this situation which is worth it.

In my on-and-off involvement with THE LAW I happened upon this story.

Two guys found a clam on a beach and argued over who it belongs to.
The law comes walking along the beach and so they each make their case. Each had a good case for ownership.
The law opens the clam, gives each one half the shell and then eats the meat.

Two guys found a clam on a beach and argued over who it belongs to.
The law comes walking along the beach and so they each make their case. Each had a good case for ownership.
The law opens the clam, gives each one half the shell and then eats the meat.

Was that THE LAW or just THE LAWYER?

Was that THE LAW or just THE LAWYER?

I've been taken to the cleaners, and defrauded, by both, some of whom acted illegally without punishment, and probably without fear of punishment.

At least with some of them I was so tenacious that they were pretty mad at me at the end, and at least one lawyer was terrified. A Pyrrhic victory, if a victory at all.

Probably I've enriched the legal profession by $20K or $30K, over decades.

A lawyer in a foreign film I saw said that, The law is not concerned with the truth, it is concerned with what can be proved, and a lawyer at the gym where I work out more or less confirmed this statement.

The law is not concerned with the truth, it is concerned with what can be proved, and a lawyer at the gym where I work out more or less confirmed this statement.

Sad to say, but after this past year, I agree. We had to sue 2 customers who didn't pay for their roof installations. We won both suits. Cost about 25k so far in legal fees and haven't got a penny yet. The whole process seems to be about protecting the deadbeats and not the honest citizen. My whole faith in the judicial system has been greatly challenged. At least one of the theifs had their house sold on the court house steps, their furniture moved to the front yard and I got to watch. 2.5 million $ house sold at 1.5. Sucks to be them.

^
http://behavenet.com/node/21650
I had a tenant like this once but at the time I didn't realize what I was dealing with. I'm sadder and wiser by now.

If you get more than your share of these people (I forget what percentage are in the general population) you need to change something. Depending on how many customers you have over how many years, your number may just have come up.

The trouble is, there is more than a casual connection between CEOs and sociopaths, and CEOs can do some real damage to many, many people.

The outlook is not good for this personality disorder, nor for paranoids. The thing is, if you're in the business/commerce world it helps to be a sociopath and if you're in combat/warfare it helps to be paranoid.

And I think commerce is sublimated warfare but that view may not be widely held! :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(psychology)
Speaking of sublimation, people who want to hurt people sometimes become surgeons or prize fighters.

Unless you live on a desert island I recommend looking through the DSM-IV or V in the reference section of your local library. I have the DSM-IV but I don't feel like shelling out $160 for the fifth edition.

Last edited:
Sad to say, but after this past year, I agree. We had to sue 2 customers who didn't pay for their roof installations. We won both suits. Cost about 25k so far in legal fees and haven't got a penny yet. The whole process seems to be about protecting the deadbeats and not the honest citizen. My whole faith in the judicial system has been greatly challenged. At least one of the theifs had their house sold on the court house steps, their furniture moved to the front yard and I got to watch. 2.5 million $ house sold at 1.5. Sucks to be them.

Did you get your money from the lien filed?

New book called "The Divide" by Matt Taibbi seems to fit right into this thread:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/13/books/review/the-divide-by-matt-taibbi.html?_r=0
Here's another
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1556526377/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
but it may not have worked for the guy in your excerpt.
This ex-cop said one time they went after everyone who was out between 1AM and 4AM and almost 100% of them had a rap sheet.
He also talked about a "nine ball machine", a shotgun that fires 9 hardened steel balls, and bragged (it seemed to me) that three shots at any car guarantees all the passengers will be immediately dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well i went to the land office. So an interesting update. The deed was amended in 2000 the front is 57 ft instead of 50 ft! There must have been some fight about it because they both owners agreed at the time. So i just gain 700 ft.

So what the doc says is that the land goes from the NW point so the first neighbor. So even though i thought i lost 3 ft it doesn't matter, it is really this old man beside me that is gonna a lose. Obviously he is not happy about this, that is why he keeps "saying i don't like fences.' He talked to the surveyor last year too. The surveyor didn't mark that point, but the old guy already knew about it.

Strange thing is that he has a garage at back starting at about 52 ft. So i guess i just make a square fence around him giving 1ft allowance for the garage. The front is wide open. I guess that's where the new drive way is going.

I guess that's where the new drive way is going.
Get it in writing before anyone commits any bucks.
To paraphrase some dialog from a foreign film I saw on the subject of law: the law doesn't care about the truth, it cares about what can be proved.

And a lawyer at the gym sort of agreed with me & the film. He said that what a jury decides is taken to be the truth.

Nah, this was a film with subtitles, maybe from Holland, the attorney who said that had a speech impediment, the hero of the film was suspected of killing his father, his mother never married, the hero read almost through an entire encyclopedia.

Wazzat? -

You have to understand the basis for laws and methods of determining the property actually loaned. It is not uncommon for property line since that basis is the grounds for individual and country boundaries over time.

Every country has different property laws just as they have different languages and interpretations.

It is not uncommon for old surveys to be reviewed and new boundaries determined to properly establish the rights and obligations.

Keep in mind that many original land surveys (section corners to start from) were done by counting the revolutions of a rag tied to a horse drawn wagon and then adjusted using a compass before the cyclic magnetic declination was even thought of.

Property come with both rights and obligations that must be treated and balanced legally. Then, they must be adjusted for the advances of technology to blend the old, new and long established use of the property in good faith. Often, adjacent owners have a old survey blended into an existing situation using surveyors and engineers.

My mother fell into that situation when a new buyer of a lake lot wanted to build a home on someone else property based on an old survey (50 to 100 years old) he had and thought that that was gospel. The adjacent owners knew better, so they had a survey done to determine the property corners and found that about 25 adjacent owners had built and liked in large lots (narrow and deep) and built on what was assumed to be their lot through the years. All the lots were lake shore frontage (big $$$s) and construction was based on at the methods of the time. Everyone found out that they had buildings and driveways that were on a neighbors property.

They just jointly had a new survey done to determine the property lines that fit the situations. - My mother had a road/driveway on one neighbors property, her dock on the other neighbors property and her house too close to one to get a permit for remodeling. This was typical.Everyone hired a surveyor to determine property corners that fit the current use and adjust the common points on the angular curving road to be adjusted for slope difference and magnetic declination over the years and give the county an idea where the road that had to be maintained.

The survey covered about 5,000 feet of shoreline and was unanimously accepted by the county, property owners and the heirs of the current owners.

At least everyone had a new definition that fit what they bought, used and paid taxes on. Fortunately they were within a mile or so of a known steel section corner.

In Jungle's situation, adjacent property owners can jointly accept a later proper determination by a land surveyor to amend a property line location an a correction to the old lines as long as it does not affect others. - It sure makes it easier to put up fences and detrmine the maintenance.

Dick

Last edited:
Well new turn of events. My brains hurts.

So i was arguing with the neighbor about the 57 feet. So he decided to get his own survey. Same company that i hired.

Same company same waste of time, 2 guys 16 hours x $150=$2400 tax. for him.

So even though there was an amendment in the deed in 2000, 'Stan' did something wrong and hired some incompetent person. So there is some discrepancy in the deed which nixes it. In other words i am back to 50 feet. How crazy is that? If only Stan had built a fence.

Now, what it turns out is when they did the survey last year i was right about the first neighbor. They are losing their shed and driveway. They just didn't want to do the survey because they thought i wasn't going to pay them i take it. Why wouldn't they tell me the good news, i would have paid happily i don't know. Maybe they are lying again to me to get me to pay them $1000?

I found another surveyor for $1200 he will do the all 4 stakes. It will take some time. Maybe i should just pay the $1000 to the first surveyor? I guess they did do the work. They are arrogant but them seem to well respected and know what they are doing. They are just pushy for money. I can't help thinking they are screwing me on the 7 feet because i didn't pay them. Or am i being paranoid?
The guys said i get my 50 feet today which puts the property line in the middle of their drive way, as i thought originally. This thing ain't over yet.
I don't know if it is worth it to pay another surveyor, you would think they would all have the same answers. But....

Back