Getting the lock mechanism out of a 1930's Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srahtz

Reaction score
I cannot figure out how to get the door handle hardware out of our doors. The house was built in the 1930 s and all of the doors are solid wood. Soon after we moved in the latches on several of the doors broke (springs came detached). I would like to remove the mechanisms without damaging the doors. I m able to remove the handles and other hardware but I cannot just slide the mechanism out because there is an inch long piece (sorry I don t know the technical terms) still inside the door. It seems to be one solid piece and I don t see a screw or button anywhere and I ve tried to wiggle it out at different angles. We ve had a locksmith come out and he said he s never seen anything like it. There is another door in the house that was broken when we moved in because the previous owners got frustrated and just ripped it out (we ve replaced the wood, but you can still see the crack). Does anyone have experience with this?

image.jpg

Door1.jpg

Door2.jpg

Door3.jpg

Door4.jpg

Door5.jpg

Last edited:
From the pictures, it looks like it would just pull out. Maybe the door has shrunk a little due to humidity. If you can take a knife and shave the area that the guts seem to be catching on, it will come out eventually.

If I'm looking at it right, one side has two ears that screws go through and the other side doesn't. You have removed the bolt that moves in and out when the handle is turned which would have held it in place, but without it, the guts have to pull out from the eared side.

It's either that, or the door is in two halves and I seriously doubt that.

put one door knob back on and twist it. do any interior parts move when that happens? If so, it may retract whatever is holding it in. In that case, twist while removing.

Another question: is this a keyed lock?

Latest posts

Back