Closing a 0.5 inch (1 cm) gap between door and frame

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vienna_sigfrid

Reaction score
Dear all,

When our balcony door is closed, there is still about a 0.5 inch (1 cm) gap remaining between the door and the Frame, in the upper part of the door(see photo attached).

1. I want to close the gap by adding a part/device that when "closed", pushes the door towards the frame. It will be an extra lever/part of some sort that will need to be opened/closed when opening and closing the door itself. The solution has to be practical enough, as to allow the frequent opening/closing of the door.

2. My less preferred option is adding additional rubber/foam insulation - however, ideally it will be some sort of insulation that takes the shape of the gap it is looking to fill (this is a fairly wide/long gap).

Does anyone have an idea what part/device can work under Point 1 (direct links will be much appreciated).

Thanks!
Sigfrid

Door.jpg

Dear all,

When our balcony door is closed, there is still about a 0.5 inch (1 cm) gap remaining between the door and the Frame, in the upper part of the door(see photo attached).

1. I want to close the gap by adding a part/device that when "closed", pushes the door towards the frame. It will be an extra lever/part of some sort that will need to be opened/closed when opening and closing the door itself. The solution has to be practical enough, as to allow the frequent opening/closing of the door.

2. My less preferred option is adding additional rubber/foam insulation - however, ideally it will be some sort of insulation that takes the shape of the gap it is looking to fill (this is a fairly wide/long gap).

Does anyone have an idea what part/device can work under Point 1 (direct links will be much appreciated).

Thanks!
Sigfrid

Hard to tell by the photo what you have. Is this a double inswing door?

Lay a straight edge on the door and see if the door is warped. From there you can determine the apprppriate course of action.

Here is a photo from further away. This is a double inswing door. The passive door is the one on the left.

The door itself is warped, hence the problem. I am not looking to repair the source of the problem - I rent - but only to patch it up.

@nealtw - this may be just what I am looking for, thanks a lot, that's very helpful.

DSC00150.jpg

Latest posts

Back