The dreadful popcorn ceiling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Greetings,
We are going to give a lift on the children's bathroom, which has a popcorn ceiling. So, we want to remove it and give a textured finish to it. It is a small bathroom, but nonetheless we imagine the job is going to be messy.
So, I know that there is a possibility that this may contain asbestos. The house was built prior to 1979, and I think the ceiling may be original. We have no way to know it for sure. So, is it very risky to remove it? I saw a method that uses paint to remove, rather than water. Is that a good way? By getting it wet, will this alone prevent asbestos from spreading? That is, in the event that this contains asbestos. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Get a small chunk of the ceiling tested before doing anything. This does NOT have to be expensive. Check out these people:
https://www.davistestkit.com/asbestos-test-kits/?gclid=CMCurdaI4LICFYaDQgodZxoA7g

Once you know, we can talk about next steps . . .

BTW, I am skeptical about one time exposure risks. Yes, the disease issues are real ... but I just think there is a hysteria about this which exceeds to risk. Others may disagree. So, know what you are getting into before disturbing the ceiling. ;)

Thank you. I will check out the web site and hope to get it tested.

You see, I am sort of on the same boat as you. I do not believe it could really be that bad, even more so considering that this is a very small bathroom. The issue becomes the disposal of it. I have 4 more rooms of the stuff and sure would love to see it gone. BTW, if the thing is there, and we are with the house closed of most of the year due to cold weather, I guess we are breathing it one way or another.... Oh well..

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Since everyone asks. . .

"Could a one-time incident that exposes me to asbestos - such as a burst steam pipe - affect my
health?
The amount of asbestos released in a one-time incident is not likely to affect your health. It will most
likely not expose you to much more asbestos, over the long run, than you would be exposed to from the
air we all breathe. Still, if you are involved in an asbestos incident, it makes sense to reduce your
exposure to asbestos. If asbestos has been released near where you live, turn off all air conditioners, shut
off ventilation systems that use outside air and close the windows. You might be also asked to either go to
a decontamination trailer that is sometimes brought to asbestos-release sites, so that asbestos can be
removed from your body and clothing, or to simply take a shower. "

So, search on the lifetime dose for asbestos from the air we breathe vs. the short term dose from your house.

For you zero-risk-bias people, and if your materials lab test comes up positive.
[ame]http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=rent+air+supplies&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=rentasbestos%20suits&pq=asbestos%20suits&cp=5&gs_id=l&xhr=t&q=rent+asbestos+suits&pf=p&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&sclient=psy-ab&oq=rent+asbestos+suits&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=be874760c7fdcb2&biw=1093&bih=741[/ame]

Of course, if you are 110 years old, you only have one more year to live anyway, so do whatever you want to (and can do). :D

The ceiling people that did my 16' x 20' ceiling left dust everywhere but Pro-Lab said this dust contained no asbestos. I will check again before I rip up the basement tiles from my circa 1964 house.

All tests have false positives and false negatives but I don't think this will be a problem in the case of asbestos.

Last edited:
Brilliant NealTW . . . in such a small bathroom, this is a very resonable solution as long as he uses lots of screws to prevent bowing . . . however, he has all the other rooms too. My guess is we have to know the extent of the problem first. For $40 it is worth the effort . . . then decide where to go from there.

Ya it's a short cut, I would sooner see all the bad stuff out. If the popcorn has never been painted and it tests good I have taped a wide scraper to a dustpan and wet the ceiling and scaped it clean, with out much dust. Hard on the arm and shoulder.

Thanks all for the ideas and replies. We removed the popcorn yesterday without the test, and are now done with that part of the project. Of course there are still lots of room in the house with the popcorn, but they are all going to wait for now.
Be well
Miriam

Thank you. I will check out the web site and hope to get it tested.

You see, I am sort of on the same boat as you. I do not believe it could really be that bad, even more so considering that this is a very small bathroom. The issue becomes the disposal of it. I have 4 more rooms of the stuff and sure would love to see it gone. BTW, if the thing is there, and we are with the house closed of most of the year due to cold weather, I guess we are breathing it one way or another.... Oh well..

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

I think you would receive more asbestos fibers from the air---in a few weeks----then from your celing.
You can check this out but there are still brake pads and clutch material, along with other items, that contain asbestos:eek:
Just do a search for "asbestos in automobiles" ---one example: http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/3272/asbestos-still-used-in-manufacturing-of-auto-parts
This is surprising to many people, but I discovered this years ago.
I called the EPA in regard to removing asbestos siding and, out of curosity, I asked why the Automobile Industry was still using Asbestos.
They did not have an answer:confused::eek:
Although I use protective measures when suspecting Asbestos, I personally think it has created a huge money making market:(

Latest posts

Back