Advice on Porch Posts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drywallinfo

Reaction score
In the photo below is shown our back porch, supported by piers spaced 10 ft apart. The porch is constructed of 2x6's running the long way, spaced 16" apart, sitting upon 6x6 beams. The back of the porch is attached to the foundation of the home. The previous owners had 2x4's running down in between the piers, mostly functioning as fastening points for skirting. The bottoms of the 2x4s are now rotted away.

I am thinking that I should simply replace the 2x4's with treated wood 2x4's, perhaps so the ends are off the ground a little. Seems it would be a mistake to set the ends upon blocks since winter ground heaving might push up on the porch. Do you think I need to add 2 additional support piers?

Thanks.
DSCF0381.JPG

Build it like a wall with a bottom plate a few inches off the ground and pin it to the concrete or just angle brace it back to the floor joists to hold it straight. Normal treated lumber isn't rated for inground use anyway.

I like Neal’s idea.

If you need access under there or want to keep critters out I might lay a piece of in ground PT wood along like a curb between the piers. Then you could hinge the sides at the top and latch them to the curb.

I might also lay some plastic on the ground sloped from the house and throw a little gravel on it to hold it down.

Latest posts

Back