Finish on a soapstone countertop?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patti87

Reaction score
I went with soapstone rather than granite for our new kitchen countertops because I don't care for the shiny finish that granite typically has, and prefer a more authentic old farmhouse look.

Now I'm hearing that I may need to have the soapstone "honed" for a more dull finish.

Doesn't simply oiling it do the trick? Or will it have that granite shiny look I just don't like?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

--Patti

i'm w/you, mz pat,,, wish i knew as i'd love soapstone, too,,, oddly enough, haven't been able to locate a source in atlanta, tho,,, would you kindly e me w/supplier's name ???,,, if you've no financial interest in the company other'n as a customer, you could post their name.

you can 'hone' soapstone in place or have it done prior to install,,, usually it comes w/honed or sand-rubbed to remove diamond blade rattle marks, tho.

Soapstone picks up stains easily. The countertops I have seen installed were finished with a coat of mineral oil rubbed on and then wiped off. It left a satin (not shiny) finish.

I was under the assumption that soapstone is already honed. Whether someone hones it or it comes out of the ground that way- I don't know. I know a lot of people oil them depending on the final look you want. And the oiling may get rid of water marks/rings... over time. I don't think it gives it a shiny look, i think it soaks right into the stone.

Back